Thursday, October 15, 2009

Better Than a Bag of Skunks

Sunday we ended up taking two cars to church. I will spare you that long and boring story and what it tells you about my terrible lack of Saturday organization. (Saturday IS a special day: it is the day I work and work all day long only to still not be ready for Sunday.) Suffice it to say, when it came time to go home, the kids were loaded up and Plantboy and I stood debating who would drive the van and who would take the quieter journey in the Civic.

We put it to the kids. Who, like they always do, yelled, "Mom!" Le sigh.

Even Plantboy felt the smart of such preferential treatment this time and said, with mock incredulity, "You guys stink!"

To which Jedi Knight replied, "That's okay, Dad. Mom is used to that little boy smell."

Uh, yeah, I guess I am.

I don't think I'll ever get used to big boy smell, though. In a few years I have no doubt that Febreeze, open windows and Speed Stick will be my best friends.

7 comments:

t. said...

My boys always pick their dad- always. They spend more than enough time with me. I could teach you some really annoying songs to sing while driving and you'd have your alone time. Recently I've been able to threaten that if they can't quiet down and stop poking each other I'll start singing. It's worked.-t
p.s.
I'm thinking my boy's room might smell better if I got them a pet skunk.

chris w said...

I love it. Jedi Knight is very wise. :)
It's always shocking that even when they've been really irritated at me the whole day they would still make that same choice.

...and I'm addicted to Febreeze.

Unknown said...

In a few years, it won't be your own boys' stink, it'll be the stink of the friends they bring over for raucous, rowdy rabble-rowsing that'll drive you out of your own home. (Unless you drive them out first)

Reminds me of the porcupine-skunk stand-off in our driveway last week. Must post about that.

calmrapids said...

A couple of weeks ago as we were leaving Jace's football game, we happened to be walking out of the stadium at the same time as the opposing team. About 20 8th graders, covered in dirt and sweat. I could not believe how strong the odor was! It was seriously hard to breathe. If we weren't in such a hurry we would have gladly chosen the long way. I'm grateful for my boys that like to shower.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

This made me smile.

Also, thanks for sharing Elder Clayton's 3 keys to being spiritual receptive. His counsel to invite the Spirit and maintain harmony with others provided some much-needed clarity in a potentially tense situation.

Funny how we often daydream of yelling at someone who frustrates us, or tartly putting them in their place, but a soft answer really is the better way to go, for all parties.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, teenagers are exceptionally pungent, no joke. I feel for you and your future teenage boys.

And the "Mom's used to the smell" comment is beyond adorable.

Slim said...

At least they know they smell. My kids haven't figured that out yet, but when they do, maybe they won't kick and scream when it's bath time.