Tuesday, December 03, 2013

A Unique Opportunity

Jedi Knight's middle school band has, for some years, carried on a tradition of performing each December at one of the northwest's coolest performing arts centers. It is right downtown and Plantboy and I have seen some wonderful performances there...big names like Yo Yo Ma and Jerry Seinfeld, as well as shows like Wicked and Riverdance. It is an awesome opportunity for these kids, and paid for with a combination of grants, community support and ticket sales. We are the only middle school in the region who gets the chance to do this. 

The four bands at his school maintain a long tradition of excellence. The jazz band band, especially, is quit remarkable and as I heard the various soloists last night I had to keep reminding myself that they were only eight graders. The choirs were a bit more painful. With them I had to keep reminding myself that they were only kids and it was cool for the weaker performers to be there as well as the good ones.

It was rather long but we dragged all the minions...er...kids to it and one out of two did admirably. As for the Youngling? Maybe a sitter next year!


No comments: