Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cookie Dough Truffles. Really.

I made these for book group last night.


I used Paula Deen's recipe. (This it the woman who once made a hamburger topped with a butter-fried egg and used two Krispy Kreme donuts in place of a bun, so you know these goodies ain't got a Weight Watchers label attached.) I added 1/2 cup more flour than the recipe called for because it seemed too runny. Then I chilled the dough before using a 1 inch ice cream scoop to form them into balls. Before dipping them, I put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer for an hour.

My other modification was that instead of using her chocolate bark candy coating, I used ganache made by heating a cup of whipping cream until it is steaming and then adding a whole bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips. (Milk chips won't work.) You then wisk and wisk the mixture until it is smooth and dark. When it cools slightly (so your balls don't turn to mush . . . . uh, did that come out right?), use your mad chopstick skills to dip the cookie dough filling into the ganache.

Leftover ganache can be used on strawberries, cupcakes, pumpkin bread, ice cream, walnuts, your spouse's lips . . . or just whatever.

When you go to your book group with a plate of these goodies, it won't even matter if the book was any good or if you have a single intelligent thing to say.

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

Oh. My. Gosh. No words can express how much I want to make these right now. Of course I would hide them from everyone else. Really- who else in my house could appreciate these better than me? No one.