Monday, July 16, 2007

My Inner Diva

Okay, so we got moved and checked out. Here is a shout out to karatemommy for helping watch my kiddos today while I ran some errands in Logan after the checkout. Even Captain Tootypants was an angel baby for her. I'm quickly learning that an hour of alone time for a mother of three is a great gift.

But this afternoon I'm not thinking about any of that. The reason being that all three of my kids fell asleep in the car, so I turned the radio up and flipped through the channels like a mad woman, stopping only on sing-a-long songs.

This is one of my favorite vices, and has been for some time: I love to sing out loud in my car to the radio. If you were to drive by me when I was alone in my car, you'd see me really belting it out. (As did the missionaries in Texas once; it was embarrassing because Plantboy was the WML at the time and the missionaries were at our house at least once a week. It wasn't like I'd never see them again. They just smiled and waved.)

But I digress . . . .

What I want to do here is give you the top ten songs (in no real order) I'd drive 8 times around the block for, just to hear every note. I've even included my favorite line from each. These are songs I know every word to; time or distance doesn't seem to strip their magic for me. And when I get my IPod (I'm saving my pennies), these are some of the first that I will download:

1. Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler) "Every now and then I know there's no one in the universe as magic and wondrous as you."
2. I Need a Hero (Bonnie Tyler) "Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?"
3. It Matters to Me (Faith Hill) "Tell me how far it is, how you can love like this, cause I'm not sure I can."
4. Its All Coming Back to Me Now (Celine Dion) "The flesh and the fantasy all coming back to me now."
5. Bad (U2) "If I could throw this lifeless life line to the wind and leave this hollow place."
6. Like a Prayer (Madonna) "I hear you call my name and it feels like home."
7. Against All Odds (Phil Collins) "But to wait for you, well that's all I can do, and its a chance I've got to face"
8. Once in a Lifetime (Keith Urban) "Well the first one's born and a brother comes along and he's got your smile"
9. The Search (Survivor) "Then I look into your eyes, I can see forever, the search is over, you were with me all the while"
10. Faithfully (Journey) "Wondering where I am, lost without you"
11. Insensitive (Lisa Loeb) Any line from the whole song!
12. As I Lay Me Down (Sophie B. Hawkins) "I want to meet you, barefoot, barely breathing."
13. Forever Young (Alphaville) Again, take your pick.
14. Falling Out Of Love (Reba) "Ain't it funny how his voice cracks, when you're saying goodbye?"
15. Meet Me In Montana (Dan Seals and yes, Marie Osmond) "I want to see the mountains in your eyes."

Wait, did I say TEN songs? Okay, well there are 15. I couldn't really choose, and there are others too. Each of these songs is like a little gift when they show up at odd times on the radio. I wonder if when they do get downloaded to the IPod they will lose some of the magic?

4 comments:

Christy said...

I am so with you on this one... sometimes my kids cry and tell me that I am giving them a headache.

Sunnie said...

i love that lisa loeb song and the celine dion song. i actually heard that song on the radio today. it is so great to sing too- if only i sounded even a little bit like celine. oh well! i'm glad i'm not the only one who will stay in the car to listen to a good song.

Anonymous said...

You can't truly be happy without the crappy. That philosophy extends into the realm of music also.

Why aren't you showing any WHAM! love? Where's the Milli Vanilli? You know you still own a collection of glow bracelets to match your 'Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go' T-shirt.

Rainie said...

I'm with you on having to stay in the car to hear a song finish. Such a good list. Songs always make me cry, I guess music. It's the lyrics & the tunes all wrapped up that bring back a flood of memories, even scents and a the weather. How about you?