Wednesday, September 17, 2008

No Worries About the Boys Getting Too Sensitive

I've been wanting my boys to see Sleeping Beauty for years, but our local video store doesn't carry it. (Yes, it is criminal that they don't; and no, I'm not with it enough to have Netflix yet.) Yesterday at the Goodwill I found a copy for a couple of dollars. VHS, of course, but the kids aren't picky.


Yesterday afternoon they really enjoyed watching it. Especially the dragon part. When it was done, they played with their trains. Hearing a lot of noise from the room they were holed up in, I opened the door to find our entire wooden train set dismantled and spread across the room with every train in a smoldering (I have imagination too) heap with a large Rescue Heroes plane flying overhead.


Seeing the shock on my face, Patchy Pirate said with great intensity, "Mom, Malesifent astroyed the entire Island of Sodor."


Scallywag clarified, "With the guns on her big ship."


I backed away and closed the door with a sigh. Nice to know they identify with SOMEONE from the princess movie.

7 comments:

Z. Marie said...

At least they weren't calling upon all the powers of hell. I've been surprised all these years that Laura doesn't quote that part.

Christie said...

We had a little book of Sleeping Beauty that Bug had memorized by the time he was four. (It didn't mention all the powers of hell.) Disney really knew his villains. And kids recognize their destructive abilities too.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Anyone who thinks boys and girls are the same has never raised kids. :)

chosha said...

Portrait of the arch villains as young boys...

^_~

Slim said...

I am relieved they didn't identify with the princess. I am sensitive to that, you know... :)

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

What about the prince? Phillip is the best one Disney ever dreamed up. Handsome, daring, and he even has a sense of humor. Heck - his horse has more personality that most princes in the other films.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Sleeping Beauty is actually my favorite of the princess movies. I do love Prince Phillip, but the scene with the inept fairies making Rose's birthday presents is really so hilarious. As for non-princess girls Mulan has to take the cake.

Portrait of the arch villians as young boys . . . .