Saturday, June 05, 2010

Eleven Years Today

I was gone for a few days. My computer guy* charged me to repair our machine, but then also recommended that we replace the hard drive. I think his official term was "fried." I'm back, but for how long is up to the virus, I suppose.

Anyway, today is our eleventh anniversary. Last year we went on a big trip in the spring and then just celebrated the burrito anniversary at Chipotle. This year will be more low-key overall, but a little nicer on the actual day. We are trying a new restaurant out tonight and Plantboy bought me a very cool hat. If I actually like the way it looks when it makes it to my head then I'll post pictures.

I don't have time to post much today, but I would like to share an anecdote that should illustrate just how wonderful this man is that I married, and how much he loves me.

Early this year I made plans to travel to Utah on my own at the end of April to see my mom and sister and attend Women's Conference. As my few days "off" approached, I could hardly contain my excitement and put all my plans carefully in place. My flight went out on a Wednesday afternoon.

Tuesday night, Plantboy came home from basketball practice with a really bad sprain. I've never seen him in so much pain. I felt bad for him, but I must admit that I was mostly extremely upset about the prospect of canceling my own plans.

Don't worry, the rest of the story will drive home just what selfish beast I am.

Asking me only to run to a medical supply place to rent some crutches and buy an ankle brace, he went to work Wednesday, hopped up on ibuprofen, and kissed me goodbye, reassuring me that he would be fine. I organized the rest of my day the best I could, making sure the cupboard and fridge were well-stocked so that Plantboy wouldn't have to do anything for 3 1/2 days but sit on the couch with plenty of ice. I lectured the kids every three minutes on the importance of being really nice to their dad.

While I was gone, the reports about the kids were mostly positive, except for the five year-old who also spent a day on the couch throwing up. I enjoyed my trip immensely, knowing in the back of my head that I owed my sweet husband immensely.

I came home to a clean house, a nice supper and a FRESHLY PAINTED BEDROOM. That's right, Plantboy painted my bedroom--a project I had the supplies for but had been putting off for ages. Flabbergasted? Not to be believed.

When I asked him why he was so nice to me, he said, "Don't you know? Because you said yes." "Yes?" I replied. "Yeah," he smiled, "Eleven years ago."

And he says he's the lucky one.




* He isn't exactly MY computer guy. I just like to make it sound like I "have people."

5 comments:

calmrapids said...

SO extremely sweet! Wow! Congratulations on 11 years--You both have been very blessed to have each other.

chris w said...

Congratulations! Love you guys.

TheDooleys4 said...

Congrats on 11! That hubby of yours sounds like a Keeper!

Courtney said...

Congrats on 11 years!

emandtrev said...

Congratulations!!